Lipari is the biggest island of the arcipelagus. It offer a fancy side and a wild side.
Arrival is at Marina Lunga. There is also a Marina Corta, which has kept more the original and traditional scent of an Eolian harbour.
From there you need transportation to reach the other side of the island where lidos and mountain routes start.
In Canneto, in fact, you can have nice beach services at lidos, where they also serve lunch.
Or continuing to Quattropani you can enjoy a beatiful landscape from the Chiesa Vecchia –Madonna della Catena, dated 1588 from where you have a sight of all the other islands from east to west; visit the caves of caolino, which is a mineral deriving from the ancient vulcanic activity, in fact, it still shows fumarole activity along the way, and it was used to make porcelain; or going down to the Terme di San Calogero which are ancient thermal bath dated more than 3500 years ago.
Excursions from the caves and to the thermal bath my be combined with a return by boat.
Lipari has also an archeological museum at the top of a cliff.
In Lipari you can play tennis besides all other sports activities – surf, windsurf, sup, kayak, canoa, bike.
It is possible to have tours of the island by boat
1) From Quattropani to the Thermal Baths. North/west. Easy. Duration 3h. Altitude 300 m. Best at sunset offering a marvellous view towards Filicudi and Alicudi.
2) Caolino caves. West. Easy/difficult. Duration 2h. Irish-like scenario among mineral colors of caolino, used in the paper industry and in the making process of porcelain. This routes leads to Faraglioni and can be combined by return by boat.
3) Monte Rosa. East. Duration 3h. Altitude 400 m. Easy. This route offers good views of Canneto to the north and Lipari town to the south.
4) From Madonna delle Catene to Acquacalda. North/west. Duration 1.5h. Acquacalda is a beach and this excursion can be combined by a return by boat.
5) Castellaro Cellars. An amazing Malvasia grape-grown piece of land in a renovated property that combines taste and art with the most modern technologies and the ancient respect for traditions and Eolian culture. Food & wine tasting available upon request.